Community Support Services (CSS) are medium-intensity community-based services that promote mental health recovery for people with persistent mental health issues. Services are customized to the needs and preferences of the individual. CSS helps restore individuals to their best possible level of functioning, while building the independence, resiliency and coping skills needed to live in their communities. Family members and significant others can be included at the individual’s request.
CSS staff helps each person develop an individual recovery plan (IRP) based on his or her strengths, preferences and goals. In order to meet the needs of individuals most effectively, CSS staff can meet with an individual in his or her home, or locations in the community such as homeless shelters, street environments or other locations that provide adequate privacy and safety. CSS staff have flexible hours in order to be available to individuals who might need help outside normal hours of operation and are available to respond rapidly to early signs of relapse or crisis.
What CSS provides
• Symptom assessment and management
• Crisis intervention
• Skills training (self-management, relapse prevention, daily living, problem solving)
• Psychosocial rehabilitation
• Case management
• Linkage to services and resources
• Development of natural supports
Who CSS is for
Community Support Services are for adults 18 and over with one of the following diagnoses that impairs their ability to live in their community:
• Mental health diagnosis
• Substance-related disorder
• Co-occurring substance-related disorder and mental health diagnosis
• Co-occurring mental health diagnosis and developmental disability
• Co-occurring substance-related disorder and developmental disability
CSS are also available for children and adolescents ages three to 17 with mental health diagnosis, substance related disorder or co-occurring disorders. See the child and adolescent CSS page for more information.
For more information about Community Support Services or to refer someone, call the clinic nearest you: